Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dia de la Independencia ~ Septiembre 15!



Traditional Girl's Dance Dress

No bombs, no guns, no bloody battle..a simple letter from Spain arriving by ship and then horseback, to grant the people of Costa Rica their request for independence. Today, the peaceful achievement is remembered with several days of traditional celebrations,including, music, dancing, lantern lighting, torch passing, parades, and of course, good food.

Country Day School took full advantage of the cultural educational opportunity, by putting together an assembly of traditional dance, costumes, and music as the story of independence was narrated in Spanish. The children had been preparing dances since the school year started, and a few local public schools attended and participated in the event as well.

After the traditional celebrations, the day was left for the kids to enjoy a variety of fair-like activities on campus, including, a bouncy 'water' castle (ie- they stuck a hose on it), frog races (for real!), face painting, guitar hero, skateboarding, a cake walk, musical chairs, etc...Brooklyn sat and watched/helped Miss Lizzy do the face paintings, while Brody didn't even make it to that section as he was trying afternoon for winning treats at the musical chair station. If I call it appreciation for music will it make me feel better??? :) It was a day to remember!


The Matapalo Band was playing and all of the girls got up to dance in their beeeeautiful dresses! Brody joined in as well of course, but where I was I couldn't snap shot.


Elli comes with to all of the school functions, and she loves all the attention she gets from the big girls!

Brooklyn with part of her class.


Brody with 1st and 2nd grade - he's back left corner :)




A woman from our church made this dress for Brooklyn in just a few hours!



Face Painting Fun


Of course she wasn't going to miss out!!!!!


The boys danced with scarves and wore the typical hats, a little less fancy than the girl's stuff, and I wasn't hearing any complaints!


3 comments:

  1. what a fun celebration. and what a sweet brooklyn post. i cant believe how big the kids are getting!! we miss you guys, is the house next door for sale!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon and Amber BreinholtOctober 18, 2010 at 2:14 AM

    I was so thrilled to see and read about all of your exciting adventures!! your living the dream life you have always dreamed of. The kids are so big and beautiful. I was laughing at the pictures of Tom turning 30...Jon just turned 30, oh how the years go by... love to chat sometime, grateful to see all is well!! Love The Breinholts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across this blog because I searched for the typical dress to show my husband. it brought tears to my eyes because I have very vivid memories of going to school and dressing like this, I remember the way we danced and you know, BOMBA !!!! although I've lived in the US since '88, I will always be Costa Rican, thank you for helping me relive those beautiful days.

    ReplyDelete