Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Truth About Snakes and Machetes

News Flash: I am afraid of snakes. I thought they didn't bother me at all, until I found one slithering over the picture frame resting on my nightstand. I was just minding my own business, and WHAM, there he was. Looking so innocent. I had no idea if he (or she for that matter) was a pesky garden snake, or a real life '1 step' and your dead snake. I thought I was scared, oh no, you should have seen Reyna, our maid. She was out of her mind with terror. My first mistake was giving her the machete. I thought she would confidently approach the teeny creature and rid it of it's precious little head. I mean, she's a local and these guys are everywhere. No, no. Instead she proceeded to scream at the snake, and believe me, if screaming scared them at all, this snake would have died of fear. She proceeded to wildly hack up everything in sight, including my picture frame. She broke the glass on it completely with the machete, her aim was horrendous. I had to take over, "look Reyna, I want to get rid of the snake, but my picture frames are a precious commodity. It's not like there is an IKEA around every corner here!" I retrieved the machete, and sent her onto a chair to hide. I wielded the weapon with the grace of a Costa Rican lawn mower, approached the snake and chopped off it's head in one foul swoop. It sounds pretty brave until you see how pitiful and small the snake was. Posting pics kind of ruins the story, or at least it makes me look as lame as the poor little snake!


No comments:

Post a Comment