Monday, July 27, 2009

First Day of School - EDUCARTE

Uniforms - they tried to make them uni-sex, but ????

Brooklyn's class combined with another class for 30 min. of English Lessons


Educarte Campus


First Day of School! Uniforms, a swimming pool, an outdoor lunchroom, and Spanish are just a few of the many things my children will experience at Educarte, a primary private school here in Costa Rica. Although Brody’s shorts are something from the Stockton to Malone early days, we are glad to be saving time on laundry. Hopefully his legs will get a little, much needed, sunshine. Children from all over the world, attend here. Italy, Argentina, Germany, U.S., Costa Rica, Venezuela, and France, are just a few of the many countries represented. Classes are taught in half Spanish and half English, and most children can understand Spanish entirely within 3 months of attending. I am so excited for Brody and Brooklyn, and secretly wish I could sit in on all of their classes! Swimming lessons are part of the curriculum and take place every Monday. SWEET! Supplies are a little scant, nothing like what we have access to here in the states. My mom would be delighted with all the wall space and empty shelves! When Bob and Debbie come to visit, we will be needing them to bring a suitcase full of supplies for the new first grade teacher…. When we came down here for Tom to work on his Master’s Degree, we were counting on a lot of volunteer experience, and just praying he could find a job. Well, Educarte is not only the new home for our children, but it is also Tom’s new place of employment!!! They have hired him to teach 1st grade English. :) Last night, when he was preparing for his lesson, we were doing a run through on the corn starch experiment. (If you have never done it you are in for quite a treat! Just put 2 cups corn starch with 1 cup water, mix and play! It is a really neat experiment.) He was a joyful kid, and I knew that my oldschool hubby was back, just like our college days. Days filled with learning and fun, and hard work, (if you were around for the UPS era you know what I mean,) when he was most happy and energetic and made a room light up. From experience some of us may question Tom's abillity to teach - Lindsay with snowboarding, and me with Spanish - rest assured his impatience is limited to the two of us. :) He was born to teach, and his enthusiasm has a real effect on people. One of the owners and director of the school said to me, “I knew I wanted him to work here right when I met him!” I am so happy that he gets the opportunity to do what makes him happy. We are truly blessed. As for me, 7:30 am to 2:00 pm with an empty house? I have Elle all to myself, and although she might miss the noisy mornings, I am really looking forward to having quiet time to focus on our business back at home. There is a lot to do, and this will be the first time EVER that I will have silence when I sit down at the computer or take a business phone call. Hooray! Not to mention, I’m sure I will make it out to the pool for a little R & R :) I also got a job at the gym, teaching spinning and beginning Yoga. One of the teachers is leaving October 1st, and my timing could not have been better. I will start when she leaves. Instructors make $10/hour, which is still more than my hubby makes, so I will have to get some P.T. clients to make ends really meet. We are all praying for a successful fall at HAF.
Overall, I know that God is directing our path here, just as He did at home. I see His hand in all things, and I hope that we can repay our debt by serving others. There is a lot of opportunity down here, and I hope we can make some sort of a positive difference. Thanks for all the support back home, we miss you and we couldn’t have done it without you! Happy 24th y'all!


2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    My name is Lisa and my family and I currently live in Vancouver Canada and are moving to Costa Rica at the begining of March. We have two young girls who are 2 1/2 and 4. I came upon your blog while I was searching for schools in the Tamarindo area.
    I have never made a move like this (especially with children) and was hoping you might be able to give me some advice how you have found things to be since you've moved.
    I can see from your post that your husband is a teacher at the school. I would love to hear your experience there and your impression of the other schools in the area like Country Day and La Paz? I would also love to know how you moved (company you used) and if you took furniture etc or just personal items.
    I am completely overwhelmed right now feeling like I don't know what I don't know and therefore don't even feel like I know all the right questions to ask.
    I am sure you are very busy with work and your three children but if you have a few minutes to help me out I would really appreciate it.
    Sincerely, Lisa
    lisa@cascada.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm also moving to the area from Boston this October. We have already signed a lease for a year and we are in the process of enrolling our two kids at Educarte. If you have some time can you share with me your experience in CR and Educarte? I would love to hear what you have to say! Thanks! ljimenez@dynamicrei.com

    ReplyDelete