Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sunday Church

I will post pics next week of our cute, little church, but today I forgot my camera. Our tiny building had only 4 parking spaces, and when we pulled up late (because it was nearly an hour drive), the chapel doors were open, so EVERYONE could see us piling out of the car. We had to walk through chapel where Sunday School was going to get our kids to "primary". Their Jr. Primary officially doubling in size with our appearance. Brody looked up at me through watery eyes and said, "mom this can't be my class!" I sat with them for a few moments while they listened to their lesson in Spanish, but when the teacher got out the leggos, my kids hit the floor with the other two children to communicate in the univeral language of "play time." Brody doesn't get the privledge of leggos in our ward at home, teachers have far to many resources to let the 7 year olds play during class time. Tom and I then joined the Sunday school class where they were discussing how to stay active and committed to the gospel. They currently have no branch President, and so the Missionairies are busy filling in those shoes. The ward has approximately 500 hundred members, but only 40 or so are active...including the primary! We then split up for Preisthood and Relief Society, the men and young men going outside and the Relief Society meeting once again in the chapel. Every time there is a new meeting, we all picked up our chairs and kind of switched directions to mix things up a little. There were 4 other member women in relief society, including the teacher. Plus there was myself and another visitor, so 6 of us in total. I of course only understood a little, but I did understand the topic of 'testimony' that we were discussing. I was greatful they asked me to get up and share mine. The primary all combined for the second half so that they would have some voices for music time. I could hear there spanish voices throughout my class, wondering how Brody and Brooklyn were enjoying the experience. It was difficult for any of us to sing on key, seeing as there was no piano, but there was a tape player they used to sing along to during sacrament. It was so meek, and the people were soooo humble, not even knowing what they are missing. I was reflecting on the huge ammont of people, our soft seats and bright lighting, our organ AND pianos, the Bishop's office, and classrooms, and parking lot.....Tom was LOVING it! He signed up for ward Temple day on Saturday, (meaning he will leave our house at 3am to be at the church by 4am, the time they leave for the Temple), and offered to go on splits with missionaries. I was out of my comfort zone for sure and it was wonderful! It was a little scary, and lonely, and I couldn't understand, but everyone was absolutely amazing and lovely with kisses and handshakes and smiles. The Lord's spirit was prescent and the people were etified by it, including myself. Can't wait to go back next week!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment